Deena Kambeyanda is an English lecturer at the Field Marshal K.M.Cariappa College, Madikeri. She is pursuing her Ph.D through Mangalore University. Married to Kambeyanda Bojanna, she has a son and a daughter.
Deena has done research on the Ainmanes and Kaimadas of Kodagu, and has documented her research in a book in Kannada, titled “Kodagina Mundmane Kaimada Mandhgala Shreemanta Parampare”.
Deena enjoys cooking for the family and friends. She says Payasa is a popular delicacy which is prepared on most occasions.
AKKI PAYASA (Rice and milk dessert)
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 /4 cup white jaggery
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp ghee
- 3 pods cardamom
- 10 cashews
- 10 raisins
- 5 almonds
- Soak the jaggery in enough warm water to immerse it. Crush it well, strain and keep aside.
- Boil 2 cups of water and add the rinsed rice to the boiling water. Let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once the rice is half cooked, add the jaggery syrup to it and let it cook until the rice becomes soft.
- Stir well and add the milk and the cardamom powder, and cook it on a low flame.
- Meanwhile, heat the ghee in a tadka pan and fry the cashewnuts and raisins and keep it aside.
- Switch off the stove and let the payasa cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the fried cashews, raisins, and the coconut milk and give it a quick stir.
- Garnish the top with finely sliced almonds
Leave a Reply