THALAYA PUTTU ( PLATE IDLY –COORG STYLE )
- ½ K.g. Rice
- ½ cup cooked rice (soft)
- 250 gm.urud dhal
- ¼ Teaspoon methi seeds
- 1Tablespoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak rice, urud dhal, methi for 5-hrs.
- Do not throw away the soaked water but use it during the grinding process.
- Add the cooked rice to the grinding and make a fine paste.
- Stir well. Add the sugar, cover and keep in warm place overnight.
- Next morning stir again and add 2 Teaspoon salt .
- Also ¼ Teaspoon cooking soda blended well with little hot milk and add to the ground paste.
- Mix it well and pour out into greased thalis and keep for steaming in the rice cooker /
SHAKALA ( a very south Indian copper/steel or aluminumrice cooker similar to the Chinese variety ).
- Keep to steam for 35-40 minutes or till knife leaves clean.
- The cooker ought to be warmed up before keeping the puttu for steaming.
- If cooker is not available then use cooker like for idlys.
- The plates will have to be kept one on top of each other with the help of sticks placed criss-cross on the plates.
- Can make 3-5 plates depending on thickness.