What’s your definition of a “superwoman”? Succesfully juggling the roles of mother, entrepreneur, businesswoman, and jewellery model, Mechanda Reena Poovaiah, is definitely a contender for the title. Married to Sunil Mandanna, and mother of two children, Reena has strong roots in Coorg. She owns the ‘Cofe Couch’ brand involved in running a chain of cafes. Currently working for IBM , Reena says a passion for cooking is in her genes.
She shares recipes for Kayi Kadboo and Mutton Curry that have been passed on by her mother.
- 250 grams fine rice rava
- 250 ml water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 100 grams grated coconut ( white only )
- Add salt to the measured water
- Wash the rice rava and soak it in the salt water for 2 mins
- Place a muslin cloth in a steamer and transfer only the rice onto it. Wrap the cloth over the rice, cover and steam it for 20-25 minutes on a medium flame.
- Sprinkle the remaining salt water onto the mixture
- Cook until the mixture resembles a soft dough
- Turn off the flame
- Transfer the mixture onto a plate and mix fresh grated coconut. Roll into egg sized round, or oval shaped balls
- Do the same with the rest of the dough.
Ingredients and method:
- 1kg mutton
- 1tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
Wash and clean the mutton with a little salt and turmeric powder. Then marinate the mutton with the above ingredients for about half an hour.
Ingredients to grind:
- 1 cup grated coconut
- ½ tsp jeera, ½ tsp coriander powder should be roasted on the thava separately.
- 1 “ cinnamon, 2 to 3 cloves, roasted until dark brown in colour
- 3 to 4 flakes of garlic
- a small piece of ginger
Grind all these into fine paste.
Ingredients for seasoning:
- 2-3 tsp oil
- 1 piece cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 green chilies
- ½ tsp jeera
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- Two sliced onions (in fairly large pieces)
- One sliced tomato
- 1 tsp kachampuli, tamarind juice, or vinegar
- One tsp chopped coriander leaves
- Pour oil into a deep pan or heavy bottom vessel and heat it .
- Add cinnamon, cloves, ginger and garlic paste, jeera, and green chillis. Cook till it starts to change colour.
- Add sliced onions and sauté till golden
- Add the chopped tomatoes and fry well.
- Add the Mutton into this and pressure cook on medium flame adding 1 1/2 cup water.
- Once mutton is fully cooked, add vinegar,kachumpuli, or tamarind juice. Let it cook till you get a fine aroma .
- Add the ground masala into this and fry till the oil floats on top of the masala .
- If you want to have more gravy, add 1½ cup of water .
- Finally, add coriander leaves. Now, switch off the stove and close the lid.
Goes well with Kayi Kadboo