FISH FRY AND FISH CURRY ( MEEN MASALA CURRY AND MEEN BARTHAD )
Step 1: Ingredients:
- 1kg.Fresh fish, sliced into thicker pieces for curry and thinner slices for frying.
Mix fish with the following :
- 1 Teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon chilly powder
- 1 Tablespoon of ginger garlic paste
- 1 Teaspoon lime juice or kachampuli
Step 2: Ingredients:
- 1 Teaspoon jeera
- ¼ Teaspoon methi whole
- 1 Teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 Teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3-4 Tablespoon Coconut scrapped
- Roast all the ingredients except coconut. Then grind all the ingredients together.
Step 3: Ingredients:
- 1 Teaspoon ginger and garlic paste
- 1 big onion sliced
- 2 green chillies sliced
- 2 Tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
- 1 Tablespoon tamarind pulp or chopped tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon limejuice / kachampuli
- 2 Tablespoon cooking oil
METHOD: FISH FRY
- For frying the fish, the step 2 items, except the coconut to be roasted and ground.
- Mix to the fish and roll onto rice flour and shallow fry in oil on both sides till reddish brown .
- Serve with lemon wedges and cucumber.
METHOD: FISH CURRY
- Now for the fish curry, keep a deep pan on heat.
- Add the cooking oil, season with mustard seeds, ginger and garlic paste, add the onion slices and then the green chillies.
- Saute till onions turn transparent.
- Then add the ground masala and sauté till an aroma arises.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes if so desired and toss for a minute.
- Add 1-1 ½ cup of water to the masala over medium heat, mix well and let it come to first boil.
Lower the flame.
- Add the thick tamarind pulp and let boil again.
- Then slowly add the fish pieces for curry, keep side the remaining water in plate.
- Then hold the pan on both sides with a thick cloth and gently toss the fish so that the it mixes with the gravy without breaking up.
- Cover and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Again do the same procedure of mixing gently cover and cook for another 4 minutes,
uncover and taste for salt and sourness if desired.
- Open and cook for another 2 minutes and put off the flame.
- Cover and let be without removing lid for 5-7 minutes.
- Pour on to serving dish and garnish with chopped coriander leaves and a split green chilly.
- Serves well with hot steam rice
Leave a Reply