I. HORSEGRAM GRAVY ( MUDARE KANNIE )
- ½ Kg .whole horse-gram, ( wash-clean-cook with water
1:3 on slow flame to over –cooked state).
- Strain the water and keep on slow flame till mixture reduces to half )
Ingredients : For the masala
- 1Teaspoon jeera
- ¼ Teaspoon methi
- 1 Tablespoon coriander seeds
- ¼ Teaspoon whole pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon mustard
- 1 Teaspoon chilly powder or 3-whole red chillies
- 4 Onions
- 6 flakes garlic
- 2 Tablespoon tamarind pulp or 1 Tablespoon kachampuli.
- 2 Tablespoon cooking oil
- ¼ Teaspoon .mustard seeds
- 2-4 curry leaves
- Roast all the dry ingredients except chilly powder.And grind along with 2-onions and garlic to a smooth paste.
- Add to the thickening gravy and stir well constantly.
- Thicken to a thick sauce consistency, adding the tamarind pulp or kachampuli.
- In a shallow pan heat the oil and add the mustard seeds to splut and the curry leaves too.
- Add cut onions ( like for omlette ) and chillys
- Add all this to the gravy mix taste for salt and chilly and remove from flame.
- Cool well and bottle this mudare kanni, can keep out of fridge for a month –preferably keep in fridge if you need to keep for longer time.
- Goes well with hot rice and ghee.
II. SPROUTED HORSEGRAM CURRY ( MOLE MUDRE KANNIE )
- 250 grams Horsegram ( wash-clean and soak for 8-hours ).
Put the horsegram in a muslin cloth overnight till the sprouts appear. Put gram in cooker with salt and 1 onion and cook well not overcooked.
- 1 cup scrapped coconut
- 1 Teaspoon jeera
- ¼ methi Tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 Teaspoon chilly powder
- 2 onions
- 6 flakes garlic
- 2 tomatoes cut
- 1 Teaspoon sugar
- Dry roast the dry ingredients.
- Add with the coconut tomatoes, onions, garlic put in mixy and grind till smooth.
- Add this masala to the cooked gram and add seasoning with oil mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Cook on slow till curry thickens.
- Goes well with rice / rotis / chappatis.