Dry fried meatballs
- 1/2 kg lean, finely minced meat
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Optional: a few curry leaves or 1 – 2 cloves for the poaching liquid
- 5 green chillis (or to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger paste
- 1/2 tbsp fresh garlic paste
- 1/2 cup packed fresh coriander
- 3 tbsp fresh,grated coconut, ground to a fine paste
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
Very lightly roast and powder:
- 1” stick of cassia or cinnamon
- 5 cloves
- 5 – 6 black peppercorns
Knead all the above ingredients together thoroughly.
- 2 – 3 tbsp ghee
Combine all the ingredients and knead together. Form into small balls – you should be able to make approx 20 – 22 pcs from this mixture.
In a wide, shallow pan, bring 2 – 3 cups of water to a gentle simmer and put the meatballs in. If using curry leaves or cloves, add them to the water now. Poach the meatballs in the simmering water, turning to cook evenly.
When they are cooked through, remove the meatballs to a plate and boil off any remaining liquid. Discard the cloves/curry leaves. Add the ghee to the pan and sauté the meatballs to a rich golden brown.
Serve hot with wedges of lime.