Pan fried fish with savoury passion fruit dressing
For the passion fruit dressing:
- 2 tbsp thick passion fruit extract
- 1 tsp sugar or honey
- 3 tbsp neutral tasting oil
- A few sprigs of fresh coriander, leaves only (save the stems)
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated young ginger
- 1/4 tsp finely sliced hot green chilli
- Salt to taste
Chop the coriander leaves finely and whisk all the ingredients together to make an emulsion. Set aside.Whisk again just before serving.
For the fish:
(to serve two)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots.
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper
- Finely chopped coriander stems
Pat the cleaned fish dry and then rub a mixture of salt, pepper and chopped coriander stems over and inside the fish.
Heat the oil and butter in a pan (you can bake or broil the fish too, but trout loves this butter bath!) and add the shallots.
Stir for a minute, then add the fish. Cook both sides on medium heat. Remove to a platter and serve it up with a side of roast potatoes and a dollop of the passion fruit dressing.
I think this would make a great marinade for pork ribs or chops and oily fish like salmon. It also makes a terrific salad dressing – perfumed, sharp and with just a little bite.