Dr Seetha Poovaiah, an eminent educationist, is based at Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu. Daughter of Sannuvanda Nanjappa, Seetha is married to Apparanda Col. Poovaiah. They have a son Dr Shoury Kuttappa, and a daughter, Shabri .
Seetha says ‘Therme Thoppu’* is a rare variety of edible fern found near river beds in Coorg. She recalls with fondness her mother-in- law preparing this dish many decades ago.
- Set aside for 10 mins.
- Next, prepare a tempering with onions, garlic, and green chillies. Add the therme thoppu and stir to mix.
- Cover, and cook on a low flame stirring occasionally.
- When nearly done, add grated coconut, and a pinch of sugar if desired.
- Should be done in 30 mins.
- Scrambling a few eggs into the thereme thoppu at the end of cooking is a delicious addition.
- Goes well with akki otti.
* There are several varieties of fern, not all are edible. Use caution and be sure to identify them correctly.